Welcome to Forge - Pure Fun. Pure PvP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Tutorial Maps

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
I reccomend an advanced tutorial map designed to educate new players on some of the more important parts of advanced Forge playing.

This should address:

1. Precasting. It is very important to know how to perform this correctly, when I first started I thought I had to have the target in my reticle at the end of the cast vs the beginning of the cast and then the target to be in line of sight by the end of it.

2. Proper GCD blocking. When players are spamming m1 or other gcds at you, you should be prepared for the rhythm that follows so you aren't just holding block and draining your energy.

3. Proper energy management. I think the master shaman bot is a perfect opponent in this kind of tutorial. Once you can kill it with all the tips given, you should be just about ready for online play, but finally

4. Fall to your death tutorial. I think just about everyone loves using bola to send people flying off ledges. I did this to a player in one match until they left the game, I regret that now. I'm sure as fun as it was for me it wasn't very fun for that player. Adding a tutorial that educates players on a bit of positioning, and the dangers of being near death pits might reduce the frequency of new players to get killed by stuff they don't know about yet.

Any other ideas? I'm new to the game so I don't know all the ins and outs of it. Advanced tutorials would be a great way to break new players into the game.
  • Tuhpathe, Rawk, ekaWake and 2 others like this

Remztan

Remztan

Your Humble Servant

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
These are really good ideas! And are definitely good ways to help a new player become more advanced. Tutorials are actually one of the most expensive content for us to develop as we need both world builders and programmers for heavy scripting and both are time consuming. Although, I really do agree with you that we should make this information available. I've been trying to amass the best of the community tutorial videos all together and put them right into the Forge Client for new players to view. Would you be up for creating a video that teaches these four points? I'm sure there are other players here too that would help if you need it.

Glad you're here to help!

-Remy
  • Dollparts, Tuhpathe, Rawk and 4 others like this

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
I could work on it. I have zero experience with video editing, all I've ever recorded was limited to fraps. I've been asked to get some stuff in for the EQNL, so I've downloaded XSplit, and will work on Forge videos as well.

Anyone got any advice on better recording software? I'll work on demonstrating the 4 points, however I don't know all the spells precasting applies to or how best to utilize precasting.

Yeah if the development team is stretched thin, making a new level and adding a bunch of trigger objects could prove to be a drain. I also didn't think about how you would need to tell AIs to act different during the tutorial, as well as include some kind of way to verify that the player successfully precast or timed a block correctly. Videos would most likely be the most efficient solution. I'll start tinkering with the recording software now.
  • Remztan and JohnesPa like this

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
Ok, Xsplit is not working out. Probably decent for streaming on new social media, but for now... back to Fraps and time to browse for video editors. I've got some decent footage for precasting, but I need to chop it up, add text, and slow certain parts down. Question for the devs:

In one of your feature videos the soundtrack is Two Steps From Hell - "To Glory". Do you guys have a general permission from them? Could I use other songs by them in the video?
  • JohnesPa likes this

Yormaika

Yormaika

Seer

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationQld, Australia

Anyone got any advice on better recording software?

i wouldn't call it 'better' recording software, but the bundled recorder that comes with MSI afterburner is reasonably powerful and configurable; plus its free!
  • JohnesPa and XxEnzoxX like this
nerf paper, scissors is fine. Yours Truly, Rock.

Deus Mortis ---------------- Pathfinder Guide

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
Looking into it, you just got a like!
  • JohnesPa likes this

thatguywhosnameisY

thatguywhosnameisY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationUS
Precasting!

Curse of flame is the big one. Peek from Line of Sight (LoS) or rotate your camera to get the enemy's nameplate that you want to curse. Then while behind LoS, cast Curse and peek at the last fraction of a second to gain LoS and land the curse.

The other casts are pyro Firestorm , and Shaman mouse 1 and link.

That should be it. PM me anytime with questions! I'm confident that I can answer ANYTHING game related you throw my way ^_^.
  • XxEnzoxX likes this

( Y )

Faati

Faati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Would also be fun if it would be possible to create maps, I dont know which software was used, but games like counterstrike. left 4 dead 2 and warcraft 3 really got big because of the custom maps option/creator. I would give it a try x) (this is probably totally not related with this post but it just popped in my head reading this thread)
  • XxEnzoxX likes this

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
One of the things that killed neverwinter online for me was the inability to make pvp maps with their foundry system, and the fact that the tools themselves were extraorindarily limited.

I don't know what tools accompany this engine, but I can guarantee that if a decent kit was released for Forge, the community would gain a huge boost via modders and world creators. One of the things that made Quake so popular was it's community of modders. One thing to remember though, is that the state of development is very different from what it was. The tools aren't complex to someone like myself who has been tinkering with the guts of video games since I was a kid, but to a new user...
Like what Rem mentioned before, adding new tutorial maps would require a good amount of work. Like, creating what's called a "function" for the "object" which is part of a "class". This "function" would explain a set of instructions to the computer AI based on what has been built to be recognized in the engine (so... you have to read a large portion of the game code to understand what it can recognize and work with). I've oversimplified this process to a grand degree. At such a point, the game is pretty much open source, which would be the ideal situation; however, not only is the learning curve greater than it used to be, the real problem is the business and legal aspect.

Heck, I've asked if I can put songs other than the one on the Forge gameplay trailer by the same band because I don't want to cause any trouble for the developers. Business is a nasty world. I don't know what terms the developers have agreed to with Epic Games', but it could prevent them from releasing a mod kit. +1 for world development tools, no hard feelings if it's not practical.

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
Ok, back to the videos... Folks, there's going to be a delay. Not because of software, but because I stink at Forge.

Watching your own video is very different from playing and I suggest doing it for improvement purposes. The only thing I can do well enough is precast against the Shaman easy bot. Yes I can block a lot of attacks in matches, but I hold the button for too long after the block goes off and this results in poor energy management. Going to jump into some matches and get some more footage today!

For already completed tutorials by other authors

http://www.playforge...utorial-videos/

For Foxx's guide to not sucking

http://www.playforge...ing/#entry51049

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
Seeing a lot more people on. Would be good if the frequent server crashes could become a thing of the past.

Dollparts

Dollparts

Zealot

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 1130 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
If you see any server crashes report them to Remtzan via Pm just post the ip adress and name of the server plus a small sumarry what happened. Lik was on sewer map next was forest ambush and then it crashed :)!
  • Remztan and XxEnzoxX like this

133548374692.png

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars
Will do!

Faati

Faati

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

In what program are the maps made? just learned html and css but got bored so i wanna learn a new program 8-)

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars

It's the unreal 3 Engine, full thing.  The UDK is free and good for messing with an engine without having to use a compiler.

https://www.unrealen...om/products/udk

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars

Video's done, I need something else to work on this kind of media, trakAxPC is horrible!

• Remztan and Dollparts like this

EeuorT

EeuorT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

I use Fraps (capture) then Any Video Converter (convert)  then Nero Vision (encode) . While you could skip the AVC step I find it gives the smallest output with no loss of quality.

XxEnzoxX

XxEnzoxX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • LocationMars

Yeah I've switched to an Adobe product, it's retains a good amount of quality while shrinking the file size and allowing me to do AMAZING things to video.

EeuorT

EeuorT

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Yeah. If it's the product I'm thinking of I'd have to agree. Dangerous if it's not a legit copy though. I have a friend that used one and lost all his vids he made with it. That's why it has a sub fee. Not implying yours is non-legit, just sharing a what could happen story.

Good Luck with your future vids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users