Welcome to Forge - Pure Fun. Pure PvP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Ravager Wars: A Mod For Forge

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

KingJackaL

KingJackaL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand
Well, a few of us got sick of sleeping, so we put together a small mod for Forge, which DVG have been good enough to include with the latest patch. It's a shout-out to 'Pudge Wars', a mod for Warcraft III.

As a mod, it's not available in the menus in Forge, but hopefully there's a server up running the Ravager Wars map if you want to try it out with friends or PUG it up :).

Our team: the gameplay is courtesy of Skullious, Anders made the map look awesome, and I built some UI.

How to play (detailed gameplay manual, OMG!):

Posted Image
  • Anders, Qwahzi, Yormaika and 7 others like this

rethink

rethink

Zealot

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationEngland
I dislike how you suggest slaying ducky is not the correct thing to do.
  • Jroc and Django like this

Fury

Fury

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 539 posts
  • LocationUSA
I'm so happy right now.
Posted Image
Bad games, funny commentary on: Don't Press Start!

Remztan

Remztan

Your Humble Servant

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
This is now live. Thanks DC for doing this!!!

UltraSexInferno

UltraSexInferno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I never played pudge wars or anything and the picture above makes not much sense to me, so what are you meant to do in this gamemode? just kill the other team? What is the deal with the npc running up and down the middle? do you kill him to get powers?

thanks

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA
I think this is amazing I can't wait for my patch to finish so I can try this out

Battle Shaman - The battle shaman is a tactical class my heals hurt have you ever been healed to death?

Posted Image

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts
Just played this and even with just 5 people it was a lot of fun. The combination of the store, mid lane, all skill shots, and instant respawn make this a very addicting game mode despite its simplicity.

But it seems that most people don't know about it so please add it to the play menu!!!!!!!

I do have a couple suggestions so here they are:
Give info about what killing the middle guys does.

Easier access to store
For the store - you can make it so that instead of escape i can press on my gold count and I enter the store. There could also be an option to press a key and enter the store menu. Once in the store, let me press numbers for the upgrade that I want. Just some things to streamline the whole process :)

KingJackaL

KingJackaL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

I do have a couple suggestions so here they are:
Give info about what killing the middle guys does.

Easier access to store
For the store - you can make it so that instead of escape i can press on my gold count and I enter the store. There could also be an option to press a key and enter the store menu. Once in the store, let me press numbers for the upgrade that I want. Just some things to streamline the whole process :)

Yeah, we probably should have some sort of notification pop up for "Pathinder - hook to steal scouting visibility blah blah" - or whatever. Good idea.

The store is actually a replacement for the 'Class Select' menu, so the same bind opens it (comma by default) ;). At the moment it takes up the middle of the screen and stops you from moving etc. I'd like to make it so that it only takes mouse input (like the scoreboard), so you can still run around with it up - and I'd like to make it pop out of the side of the screen, so it doesn't block your view.
  • Fury likes this

Anebriate

Anebriate

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationMaine, US
> PLAYED FOR 2 HOURS

> DID NOT KNOW ABOUT STORE
  • Fury likes this

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

The store is actually a replacement for the 'Class Select' menu, so the same bind opens it (comma by default) ;).

At the moment it takes up the middle of the screen and stops you from moving etc. I'd like to make it so that it only takes mouse input (like the scoreboard), so you can still run around with it up - and I'd like to make it pop out of the side of the screen, so it doesn't block your view.

Now you tell me this!

Well I was going to suggest this initially but since we're on that train of thought: why not make it so that I don't even have to open the menu up? As in I can just press numbers and instantly get my upgrade without missing any of the action. Since you can't use all your skills that shouldn't really mess up anyone's key bindings. But just in case it does people should still be able to change the bindings.

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts
Although I really like the current version, I would like some opinions about some semi-fundamental changes.

Let me both hook and grapple. That way I can rally back to a teammate if I get pulled to their spawn. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting pulled to the enemy spawn and sometimes do so on purpose, but there's no real escape route. However, hook should be on a 20-30 second cooldown so that you can only use it in emergencies, not all the time.
Which brings me to my second suggestion: Add a couple 10 ft poles on the map that I can only hook to with that high cooldown skill.

The first one I would really like to see added, the second is something to consider if this mod is successful and you wish to add more maps. Really, the second suggestion could even be added to normal maps so that the ravager has a few hook points he can use to spiderman around. It could also be used for parkour maps if those are ever added.

Rive

Rive

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
It was very fun, good job

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA
i LOVE IT, could use some slight polish but great potential

Battle Shaman - The battle shaman is a tactical class my heals hurt have you ever been healed to death?

Posted Image

KingJackaL

KingJackaL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 652 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Well I was going to suggest this initially but since we're on that train of thought: why not make it so that I don't even have to open the menu up? As in I can just press numbers and instantly get my upgrade without missing any of the action. Since you can't use all your skills that shouldn't really mess up anyone's key bindings. But just in case it does people should still be able to change the bindings.

Having the menu up all the time is complex - there are 8 things to upgrade already, and there are several more things to come. Fitting another 10+ keys around the existing Forge keys isn't easy, and I can't add to the settings menu (as that makes no sense for Forge) - so they'll either need to override other ability slots, or just not be bindable or something. I'm not really sold on heading in that direction - it sounds confusing .

Let me both hook and grapple. That way I can rally back to a teammate if I get pulled to their spawn. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy getting pulled to the enemy spawn and sometimes do so on purpose, but there's no real escape route. However, hook should be on a 20-30 second cooldown so that you can only use it in emergencies, not all the time.
Which brings me to my second suggestion: Add a couple 10 ft poles on the map that I can only hook to with that high cooldown skill.

The first one I would really like to see added, the second is something to consider if this mod is successful and you wish to add more maps. Really, the second suggestion could even be added to normal maps so that the ravager has a few hook points he can use to spiderman around. It could also be used for parkour maps if those are ever added.

Grapple isn't in the current version, but yes, we plan to add it in (along with more things). Not sure if it'll be consumable like in Pudge Wars or not. What you're describing (with the poles), is the Pudge Wars version yeah?

As for maps, the normal Forge maps likely wouldn't work well with Ravager Wars, for a bunch of technical and gameplay reasons (like, we'd have to re-do the lighting on each map, which means adding a second version of the map to the Forge download etc).

I suppose it's worth mentioning some things that we didn't have the time to get in: Grapple, Health Pots, Barricade.

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

I'm not really sold on heading in that direction - it sounds confusing.

Not sure if it'll be consumable like in Pudge Wars or not. What you're describing (with the poles), is the Pudge Wars version yeah?

As for maps, the normal Forge maps likely wouldn't work well with Ravager Wars, for a bunch of technical and gameplay reasons (like, we'd have to re-do the lighting on each map, which means adding a second version of the map to the Forge download etc).

I suppose it's worth mentioning some things that we didn't have the time to get in: Grapple, Health Pots, Barricade.

Yeah it does sound confusing and clunky, especially with the more things you add.

I've never played pudge wars but based on some gameplay videos that's exactly what I'm referring to.

I was saying to add structures or points on existing structures that the ravager can grapple to. It'd be just like grappling to a person except it's the environment. I wasn't suggesting to extend ravager wars to other maps, although that is something to consider if the mod takes off.

What you currently have is already great so thanks to all who found the time to make it.

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA

I was saying to add structures or points on existing structures that the ravager can grapple to. It'd be just like grappling to a person except it's the environment. I wasn't suggesting to extend ravager wars to other maps

Like the tar? I like the tar and rav wars could use some environmental reverse hook points to make getaway easier thatd be cool

Posted Image

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

But it seems that most people don't know about it so please add it to the play menu!!!!!!!

Any plans to add a hotfix for this? Everyone that's had a chance to try it seems to like the mode but there's the still issue of people not knowing it exists. Even some vets were unaware they could access the mod.

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA

Any plans to add a hotfix for this? Everyone that's had a chance to try it seems to like the mode but there's the still issue of people not knowing it exists. Even some vets were unaware they could access the mod.

Those that don't follow the forums won't even notice 3 lil servers with no one ever on since they filter for games with players

Posted Image

Fauxie

Fauxie

Alpha Male

• Forge Cohorts
  • PipPip
  • 631 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
I've discovered a crazy easy way to hit people. 1 level of homing is all you need. Throw the chain at the ground near their feet and lulz ensue.

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA

I've discovered a crazy easy way to hit people. 1 level of homing is all you need. Throw the chain at the ground near their feet and lulz ensue.

I will take this exploit and use it wisely ty good sir

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users