Welcome to Forge - Pure Fun. Pure PvP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

April's Upcoming Changes

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Sojourner

Sojourner

Wearer of Many Hats

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 1878 posts
We've mentioned some of these items in the past, most in fact, but not quite all and not in detail. This month marks the end of a major development effort on our part and the beginning of another. Since the game launched in December, we've been crunching hard to bring the game up to the standards we held for it "at release". While we've always believed, and still believe, that we have delivered a game that is a great deal of fun to play and has something unique at its core, we knew as much as all of you knew that we had real work to do to bring it up to all of our standards for quality. This month, you'll see several significant changes to Forge.

One of the most obvious changes we'll be making to the game is the introduction of piece-by-piece customizable armor and a brand new armor set. We're calling this set the "Divine" set. While we're waiting until a little later this month to publish screenshots of these sets, suffice it to say they are far more than just a texture swap and are simply amazing. While the progression system will remain the same in regards to armor, in that you unlock an entire set at a time as you level, this feature provides us the option to introduce individual pieces in the future.

The Ravager makes an appearance this month as our first free DLC. You won't be charged anything to play the new class. The Ravager fulfills our goal of having a highly mobile, damage focused melee class that is intended to stick in the midst of battle. While every class has a new challenge, every class will also benefit from having this role filled as it will put less pressure on our other melee classes to try and fill it when they're not suited to that playstyle.

For new users, we'll also be releasing the completely overhauled tutorial. It is a much more guided experience that provides better instruction on how to play as well as placing the player in context of why they're fighting in the first place. We're confident this will have a tremendous positive impact on retaining new players and is worth a look even if you're a veteran.

We're overhauling the user interface, especially the menu system, to make it more organized and have less of that "Fresh from the Indie Shelf" feeling. Each class will get another set of Focus ability options to choose from. Several key visual effects have been slightly reworked to improve visibility and ensure that the team/enemy options for each are clearly visible. We're making some improvements to the spectator system.

In all, this will be our most significant update to the game to date and marks the beginning of a new period for us. These changes are planned to be split between two updates. We'll keep everyone posted as we near the patch dates for each!
  • Anders, Hateyo, Trinica and 19 others like this

Kokos

Kokos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 386 posts
Sounds like a lot more than I was expecting to come out at once, can't wait!
[STREAM] Kokos |OP - lvl99 TINKER! + Pyromancer / Pathfinder / etc

Posted Image

Qwahzi

Qwahzi

Zealot

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 1329 posts
Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

EDIT:
What about team balance/newb-only servers? I don't want the new players to leave after getting stomped. :(
  • dacma likes this

WarTimeraider

WarTimeraider

Paragon

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts
  • LocationNetherlands
wow.. free dlc.. you are spoiling them XD

nah, just kidding.. it will be the skins etc. that bring in the bucks hopefully :P

Posted Image

dacma

dacma

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationCanada

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

EDIT:
What about team balance/newb-only servers? I don't want the new players to leave after getting stomped. :(

Noticed this as a big issue actually as well. People leave very very quickly when they realize its not as easy to play the game as it would appear at first.
PLEASE CRITIQUE MY CLASS IDEAS - BE HARSH IF NECESSARY.

Class ideas in Progress: need to decide on two more skills for each class.
Prophet - Support Focused, Secondary Damage
Minstrel - Primary Healer, Secondary Support
Summoner - Primary Dps, Pet based.
Reaper - Melee damage focused, Secondary Support
Unnamed - Support Focused, Secondary Damage

Dev's if you like any of my ideas i would be happy to help create one of these guys!

Fauxie

Fauxie

Alpha Male

• Forge Cohorts
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
Good news :)

But this concerns me greatly:
"The Ravager makes an appearance this month as our first free DLC."

Does this mean future classes will only be unlocked by purchasing? :\
  • Qwahzi, DJhoward, Fury and 1 other like this

Dollparts

Dollparts

Zealot

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 1130 posts
  • LocationSwitzerland
Cool stuff :3 ! Cant wait for it :)!

133548374692.png

MarkyX

MarkyX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts

It could be new models, new skins, or whatever. I hope they don't go with "pay for class" route.
  • carltonbanks likes this
Posted Image

ANTiCREATED

ANTiCREATED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
I believe they use the phrase "first free DLC" to show that it will be free, not implying future DLC for classes will have to be paid for. That's just my opinion :D
  • Foxx likes this
I am Jack's smirking revenge.

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

For new users, we'll also be releasing the completely overhauled tutorial. It is a much more guided experience that provides better instruction on how to play as well as placing the player in context of why they're fighting in the first place. We're confident this will have a tremendous positive impact on retaining new players and is worth a look even if you're a veteran.

This is by far the best thing I read. I was actually just getting ready to write up a tutorial scenario that would teach people the game by having them play it. Guess I'll hold off.

In regards to DLC. It'd be such a shame if this game becomes pay to win by not having all classes available to everyone. It would also greatly unbalance the teams if only one has access to a certain class. If you ever do create classes that require further payment, they only be playable on select servers where everyone has access to the class. It'd also be nice if it were possible to unlock a pay to play class by means gaining enough experience. But again, that's under the assumption that you at one point in time wish to implement classes that must be paid for.

TF2 has shown that you can create a successful business model by selling virtual hats. I have no problem with you guys going down a similar route if it means a continued stream of great content :)
  • Qwahzi likes this

MarkyX

MarkyX

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 224 posts
What's disappointing though is the lack of changes to the current maps. You'd think after several months they could do a few modifications to make them more playable.
Posted Image

Vihs

Vihs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

What's disappointing though is the lack of changes to the current maps. You'd think after several months they could do a few modifications to make them more playable.

I'm not worried about the maps atm at all. There are a few spots where players get stuck and collision is pretty bad but I would rather see new content be released and getting a better game out rather than polishing some of the maps up yet. They are all playable and once players learn them the flow of battle is pretty good. The bigger issue is getting more content I think.
  • Anders, Razius and thatguywhosnameisY like this

Yormaika

Yormaika

Seer

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationQld, Australia

Based off early (alpha) comments from the developers, they wanted to keep classes/maps/gamemodes as 'free-DLC' and have purchasable cosmetic upgrades.

This is subject to change, of course. As the game develops, the business model surely develops too.

edited.
  • Remztan and Qwahzi like this
nerf paper, scissors is fine. Yours Truly, Rock.

Deus Mortis ---------------- Pathfinder Guide

Trinica

Trinica

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 212 posts
It's a good start, can't wait to see Forge in a release state in the next 6 months or so!

carltonbanks

carltonbanks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationHenderson, Nevada

It could be new models, new skins, or whatever. I hope they don't go with "pay for class" route.

I really hope this doesn't happen as well. Although, I love Forge, and would pay for almost any DLC that comes out for it. Although, I know how it feels to start playing a cool game, and then only to feel restricted, killing the experience.

Anyways, the changes sound awesome! I can't wait to see what you guys do this month. Keep up the great work!

Razius

Razius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 371 posts
Honestly,
playing Forge has been the best gaming experience I've had so far. I think that the most positive thing I could say is that is not just about "playing" : thank to the awesome community and the presence of the devs this is the first time I really felt part of the game, as if the gamers weren't just a "horde" of mindless kids used for making profit but the roots of a larger plan that grows and modifies itself and creates not only good entertaining but a unique experience.
I know this is not linked anyhow with the current topic, but I just though it was right to let you guys know that my opinion on your work goes far beyond appreciation; and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
For now
thank you for creating Forge
Keep up the good work.

Razius
  • Qwahzi, Yormaika, KeeblerElf and 5 others like this

Vihs

Vihs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Honestly,
playing Forge has been the best gaming experience I've had so far. I think that the most positive thing I could say is that is not just about "playing" : thank to the awesome community and the presence of the devs this is the first time I really felt part of the game, as if the gamers weren't just a "horde" of mindless kids used for making profit but the roots of a larger plan that grows and modifies itself and creates not only good entertaining but a unique experience.
I know this is not linked anyhow with the current topic, but I just though it was right to let you guys know that my opinion on your work goes far beyond appreciation; and I'm sure I'm not the only one.
For now
Keep up the good work.

Razius

^ What Razius said!

Also I wouldn't mind paying for some cosmetic stuff with real money but I hope there is a way to earn stuff in game by other means. Maybe winning tournaments rewards you with " X " amount of a token. You use these tokens to buy cosmetic stuff or something. IDK didn't put much thought into this I just hope classes are all free.
  • Qwahzi likes this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Honestly,
For now
Keep up the good work.

Razius

I'm gonna back up Razius on this as well. This game has done wonders in making me feel like part of a gaming community - it's nice to see the devs playing with the rest of us, even if that means I have to get my ass handed to me by Anders. I also appreciate the active dev presence on these forums, as well as update threads (like this one).

Thanks, again, for all the hard work. You've created a fun, creative, solid gaming experience, and I'm happy to continue playing and spreading news about the game.
  • Qwahzi likes this

tridee

tridee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOhio
TO go along with what Vihs said, I think with the weekly FA Tourneys/ Guild scrims.. There should be some incentive for winning to possibly get more people involved in doing it.
Posted Image

RentableDwarf

RentableDwarf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 553 posts

^ What Razius said!

Also I wouldn't mind paying for some cosmetic stuff with real money but I hope there is a way to earn stuff in game by other means. Maybe winning tournaments rewards you with " X " amount of a token. You use these tokens to buy cosmetic stuff or something. IDK didn't put much thought into this I just hope classes are all free.

Since this game tries to incorporate RPG aspects - it would be cool if we could customize appearance like is possible when creating a character for an MMORPG. But it would also be interesting if certain customizations only unlock with leveling. I would have these unlocks occur when you get new titles. For example: You earn the title of novice and now you can grow a bigger beard among other things. Just a little something to let people know you're somewhat more experienced. I've never thrown money down on skin packs but I'd be willing to buy some if you offered male and female options for all characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users