Welcome to Forge - Pure Fun. Pure PvP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Keeblerelf's Humble Shaman Guide

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

I've taken the liberty of putting together a guide to the Shaman. This is the first guide I've written for a game, and I would greatly appreciate any positive or constructive feedback.

Rough contents:

• Brief introduction to the class.
  • Shaman skills as described in Forge, along with my comments about them.
  • Common scenarios that pop up when you're healing, and some advice for handling them.
  • My personal choices for customizing A / S / E and focus abilities, along with some basic reasoning for these choices.
  • List of general tips.
  • List of Shamans whose gameplay you should study if you'd like to improve your skills.

I've put the guide into its own PDF, rather than attempting to type out all the formatting into the post itself.

Link for viewing and downloading: https://www.dropbox....ShamanGuide.pdf

Change log:

• Added a section with some tactics to use, including a subsection suggested by Foxx.
  • Added a healing rotation to use for burst healing, contributed by Foxx.
  • Other minor stuff.
  • Added a tip and made some corrections, thanks to FearHAVOK.
  • Expanded some sections, reworded some things, and made other minor changes on 11 December 2013.
  • Added a tip or two, as well as a link to Foxx's guide (http://www.playforge...to-not-sucking/) on 3 February 2014.

• Remztan, Yormaika, Dollparts and 11 others like this

Vellerophontes

Vellerophontes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Very nice of you dedicating time to make this! I'd suggest you post it on forge's steam guides too.

Btw there are some small errors in the text and some inaccuracies considering focuses.

Edited by Vellerophontes, 14 September 2013 - 05:27 AM.

• Tuhpathe, Neertyflefs and Teafunfaite like this

Foxx

Foxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
Sweet guide man, though I'm sad I didn't make it on the list :P. It also made me so happy to know that someone else uses blessed beacon B besides me, its so gooood.

I had some suggestions too. I think you should make a section about the importance of prehealing/prebuffing instead of talking about it a little bit in each skill recap. It may be more of an arena tactic but prehealing with m1s and especially Blessed Beacon B is really important. Rotating between m1s on two targets and tossing in beacon every cooldown is about 60-80 hps which is extremely useful if someone gets pulled or swapped.

As for single target healing when someone is being focus fired, I would suggest using this rotation: Beacon B-> Dome A -> Fervor (B, ideally) -> Heal immediately after bubble breaks -> Either heal spam or M1/Beacon depending on ally hp. The dome will pop relatively quickly and heal for 100 hp, probably in the middle or end of fervor. Another heal immediately after bubble pops is another 150-220 hp. As long as your ally is smart and is blocking, this is some pretty good burst healing and mitigation, and this doesnt even include the blessed beacon heals that kick back in after bubble pops (why Beacon B is so gewd). If bubble never bursts then your probably regaining control of the fight and your ally just got a free fervor that you can cash in for a mega heal later.

Of course, the order of the first two isn't that important but IMO Beacon B and Dome A synergize so well together
  • Tuhpathe, Neertyflefs and Teafunfaite like this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Very nice of you dedicating time to make this! I'd suggest you post it on forge's steam guides too.

Btw there are some small errors in the text and some inaccuracies considering focuses.

Thanks for the suggestion - that sounds like a good idea.

Please do point out any specific errors or inaccuracies you see. This was a late-night project, so I was bound to make a number of mistakes.

Sweet guide man, though I'm sad I didn't make it on the list :P. It also made me so happy to know that someone else uses blessed beacon B besides me, its so gooood.

I had some suggestions too. I think you should make a section about the importance of prehealing/prebuffing instead of talking about it a little bit in each skill recap. It may be more of an arena tactic but prehealing with m1s and especially Blessed Beacon B is really important. Rotating between m1s on two targets and tossing in beacon every cooldown is about 60-80 hps which is extremely useful if someone gets pulled or swapped.

As for single target healing when someone is being focus fired, I would suggest using this rotation: Beacon B-> Dome A -> Fervor (B, ideally) -> Heal immediately after bubble breaks -> Either heal spam or M1/Beacon depending on ally hp. The dome will pop relatively quickly and heal for 100 hp, probably in the middle or end of fervor. Another heal immediately after bubble pops is another 150-220 hp. As long as your ally is smart and is blocking, this is some pretty good burst healing and mitigation, and this doesnt even include the blessed beacon heals that kick back in after bubble pops (why Beacon B is so gewd). If bubble never bursts then your probably regaining control of the fight and your ally just got a free fervor that you can cash in for a mega heal later.

Of course, the order of the first two isn't that important but IMO Beacon B and Dome A synergize so well together

Foxx! You should have been on the list - you'll be in the next version. Thanks for the kind words about the guide.

I agree that the combo of Beacon B and Dome A is glorious. I love heals that keep on healing, even if I'm stunned or dead. Your suggestions are very good - I'll try to add them into the guide with due credit. In particular, the use of Dome -> Fervor is not a sequence I remember ever using in the context of burst damage, so it's great to get some ideas from others!

It was actually really difficult to write down how to handle burst healing on a teammate: I never think about what I'm doing anymore; it's just second nature to keep someone alive during horrendous damage (I think what I suggested in the guide was sensible, but it may not be what I actually do most of the time). Maybe I'll need to record myself to see what really goes down.
  • Tuhpathe and Teafunfaite like this

FearHAVOK

FearHAVOK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationGuelph, ON
Great guide, I had no idea Blessed Beacon focus B increased the heal by 50%!

Just a few things I noticed while reading:
- In your focuses section you chose focus A for both Drain and Dome, however in the description you refer to them as focus B.
- In section 3.5 I would also mention that healing an ally gives more energy than damaging an enemy with m1. This helped my survivability a ton when I learned this.
  • Teafunfaite likes this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Great guide, I had no idea Blessed Beacon focus B increased the heal by 50%!

Just a few things I noticed while reading:
- In your focuses section you chose focus A for both Drain and Dome, however in the description you refer to them as focus B.
- In section 3.5 I would also mention that healing an ally gives more energy than damaging an enemy with m1. This helped my survivability a ton when I learned this.

Thanks for the kind words, and for helping make the guide more accurate and useful.

Focus B on Blessed Beacon actually ticks 5 times for 35, for a total of 175; this is very close to a 50% increase over the 120 default heal, and those heals really add up fast!

I added your suggestion, and made the corrections you pointed out. Newest version is posted.

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Updated version posted. I expanded some sections, reworded some things, and made some other minor changes.
  • Dollparts likes this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
Updated with some minor changes and a link to Foxx's guide for general play tips (http://www.playforge...to-not-sucking/).

Remztan

Remztan

Your Humble Servant

• Developers
  • PipPip
  • 725 posts
  • LocationSan Diego
Have you done any video guilds? Something like this would be great for our video guides library that we're going to put into the Forge Client.
  • Dollparts, Eradicate and sleepless25 like this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts
I haven't done any video guides; this was my first guide of any kind, really. Maybe I can try my hand at it, though!
  • Remztan, Dollparts, Incanuth and 1 other like this

Incanuth

Incanuth

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDagnamyr
I'm going to try and learn Shaman whenever a situation arises, this guide is sure to help. Thumbs up for this creation.

Regards,
Incanuth
  • Remztan and KeeblerElf like this

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

- J.R.R. Tolkien

The obvious answer is to play Forge.

Foxx

Foxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts

bumpin for keebs.

• Treetrunks, Anebriate and sleepless25 like this

KeeblerElf

KeeblerElf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 222 posts

Link fixed: DropBox disabled links due to HeartBleed; thanks to Morally Bankrupt for calling it to my attention!

sleepless25

sleepless25

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Just want to say this was a AWESOME! guide and hopefully you make more guides they help out a lot THANKS KEEBLER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users