Welcome to Forge - Pure Fun. Pure PvP
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How To: Forge Settings

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Pilluminati

Pilluminati

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSweden
A little settings guide to people. Some things should be taken with a grain of salt and some things are almost essential for suck-sess.
If they didn't help you then hopefully you've at least learned what they do. Enjoy.

Graphics

Brightness: 130%+
If you want to record gameplay have it at least at this level or it will appear too dark.

Motion blur: OFF
Should be self explanatory why you wouldn't leave this setting on.

Distortion: ON
This allows you to see nearby stealthed assassins more clearly.

Audio

Music: 0%
Allows you to hear footsteps and other combat sounds better. It's really repetitive too.

Input

Keys

Keybinds: There's no best setup obviously, but something that helps a lot when deciding which keys to use is to think about how the keys affect your WASD movement. You don't want to try and reach 7,8,9 while moving at the same time. If you are looking for good long-term keybinds the ones easiest to memorize aren't usually the best. That shouldn't be something you take into account as with time you will easily memorize any setup anyway. Binding abilities to extra mouse buttons (scroll wheel works too) is an excellent choice as it allows you to use WASD freely. As long as the buttons aren't too hard to press. If you don't happen to have extra buttons Q, E, R, F, Z, X, C, 1, 2, 3 are all good choices.

If you play the Pyromancer or Shaman, make sure to bind your "Stop Casting" key and utilize it. It allows you to cancel casting and is extremely useful for example when you know you've missed a cast. Personally I've bound the "Stop cast" to my mouse's thumb button.

Mouse

Sensitivity: There's no exact best number as the intensity depends on the DPI of your mouse, and playstyles vary as well as classes.
If you have no idea however a good thumb rule is to have it so that you turn 180 degrees when you make a quick and fairly long movement with your mouse.
If you want to be able to snipe well, a lower sensitivity is obviously preferred. Experiment.

Mouse smoothing: OFF
NOW.

Game

Hud

Blood map alpha: 30%
You don't want this obscuring your vision when you are low on health. You do not need this ON to know you are low on health.

Show cooldown sliders: ON
Takes some practice to get used to, but it's very handy once you learn to watch it. You will have to memorize what each ability icon looks like of course. If you can memorize the timings in your head, even better, you won't need this.

Other

Field of view: >100
This is extremely important. Allows you to see a lot more and gives you much better awareness. Although values that are too high can make it harder to snipe effectively. Should be minimum 100 (imo), more or less depending on the class you play.

Queueing Period: ~0.0-0.2s
This makes your abilities queue up when you've pressed them, making you unable to cancel them, thus wasting a global cooldown and possibly wasting an ability. You could still have it a bit higher than 0.0 to maximize your dps as abilities will be used as soon as the global cooldown wears off.

Ps. I'm more than happy to discuss numbers and tips with you if you are able to present your critique in a constructive manner.
  • Qwahzi, Fauxie, bryx and 10 others like this

Fauxie

Fauxie

Alpha Male

• Forge Cohorts
  • PipPip
  • 630 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California
The graphics settings especially are important. Regardless of your graphics card please make sure to take his advice :D

Hasty

Hasty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationFinland
Good guide :P
But one question I have. How do I disable mouse smoothing ? I didn't find it anywhere on mouse settings at control panel. Tried to google it aswell, but only thing I found was how to disable mouse acceleration and enhanced mouse precision. ( same thing ? ) I didn't have those on anyway, Im just not even sure what is "mouse smoothing"

Pilluminati

Pilluminati

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSweden

Good guide :P
But one question I have. How do I disable mouse smoothing ? I didn't find it anywhere on mouse settings at control panel. Tried to google it aswell, but only thing I found was how to disable mouse acceleration and enhanced mouse precision. ( same thing ? ) I didn't have those on anyway, Im just not even sure what is "mouse smoothing"

That's weird, it should appear in the in-game menu under input->mouse...

Hasty

Hasty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationFinland

That's weird, it should appear in the in-game menu under input->mouse...

Oh fuck I was stupid xD Somehow I didn't even know there were options for mouse. Yes you may SLAP me hard now.

nucu

nucu

Zealot

• Forge Cohorts
  • PipPip
  • 1106 posts
  • LocationGermany

Oh fuck I was stupid xD Somehow I didn't even know there were options for mouse. Yes you may SLAP me hard now.

/SLAP HARD NOW
Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
Homer Simpson

Get your Shaman Ph.D.
"Shaman is OP, stop playing him Nucu"

Pilluminati

Pilluminati

Alpha Male

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSweden

With... anything?
  • Fauxie likes this

Hasty

Hasty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationFinland

With... anything?

Maybe a baseball bat ? But thats not a slap tho, but it still goes I guess

Skuzzzy

Skuzzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Great Guide, I also like to enable Faster Energy Regen under Game->Other options to get a few more spells in ;)

Dey

Dey

Zealot

• The Zealous
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • LocationGermany
I'm still not quite sure how the queuing perod option works. Does it help with ping and if so what value would be good for someone with a higher ping than normal (100-200ms)?

Also I think you could maybe mention turning off bloom and/or dynamic lighting as it's sometimes quite blinding when the lighting changes suddenly (e.g. when you leave the spawn areas on Ymil's Throne)?
Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music!

Radiguet

Radiguet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
My keybindings are
1 - MOUSE1
2- Q
3- E
4- R
5- F
6- C
7- V
8- MOUSE5

This setting works very well if you are using a gaming mouse.

"YOU SEE IVAN, WHEN YOU HOLD PEESTOL LIKE ME,
YOU SHALL NEVER SHOOT THE INACCURATE BECAUSE FEAR OF SHOOTING FINGERS!"

Skuzzzy

Skuzzzy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

I'm still not quite sure how the queuing perod option works. Does it help with ping and if so what value would be good for someone with a higher ping than normal (100-200ms)?

Also I think you could maybe mention turning off bloom and/or dynamic lighting as it's sometimes quite blinding when the lighting changes suddenly (e.g. when you leave the spawn areas on Ymil's Throne)?

When your global cooldown is going and you press a button the queuing period default is 0.5s, so if you press another spell while the cooldown is less than 0.5, the game will "keep trying" to cast your spell for 0.5 seconds. So 0.4 s cooldown left? Your spell will go through even if you press it early. 0.6s, if you are on default your spell will not go through. Hopefully that helps. I can try to explain better if you still have questions/

BloodSiege

BloodSiege

Blood God

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationUSA
Love the guide gave this old dog here a few new tricks

Battle Shaman - The battle shaman is a tactical class my heals hurt have you ever been healed to death?

Posted Image

thebarcode80

thebarcode80

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

how do i make it so i do NOT use the mouse to move. i just want to use the keyboard. i couldnt find any setting for it. 

Denaszune

Denaszune

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

how do i make it so i do NOT use the mouse to move. i just want to use the keyboard. i couldnt find any setting for it. 

You don't use the mouse to move. You use WASD to move and the mouse to aim. There is no option for keyboard only because that wouldn't make any sense with the type of game you are playing.

The only way to get around this is to use a controller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users